Buying a used camera in European cities

People have different rituals when they go to new cities. I try to find a store that sells second hand cameras.

Stavanger, Norway
I don´t travel all that much. In fact, I usually stay in Stavanger. The best place for finding old stuff, is Stavanger foto. It´s enough to just walk by the windows, everything they have is exposed there. They know their business and the prices are OK. I bought my Nikkormat camera there, trading it for my Nikon F50 camera and a Tamron lens. Can´t say I´ve ever regretted that. Their website is www.stavangerfoto.no/, but I couldn´t find a list of their items there. They are however listed on www.foto.no/bruktmarked.

Bergen, Norway
The second largest city of Norway has a lot of soul, a lot of rain and perhaps the best second hand camera shop in the country. Situated next to the famous Fløibanen, which transports tourists and citizens up a very steep mountain, the Antonio Stasi shop is worth a stop. Their site is www.antoniostasi.com/. I bought a Konica Auto S2 there, for a reasonable price. The owner knows a lot about photo, and the prices are fair. This summer I bought a good looking Nikon F3, for 1800 NOK. Plus, the shop is a meeting place for old school photographers from Bergen, and you will surely come across one or two of them if you drop by. Highly recommended!

Oslo, Norway
What can I say? Our capital is short on this kind of shops. The best one is probably Lømorks (www.lomorks.no), but don´t expect to bump into spectacular objects. Oslo Kameraservice (www.kameraservice.no) only updates their list of second hand items every Tuesday, and it´s only downloadable as a spreadsheet. I tried to buy an Nikon F2 there once. Just to make sure it was working properly, I attached a lens, and noticed there was no light metering. The salesman had to make several phone calls to colleagues who knew more than him, and came back 20 minutes later explaining that the meter was dead. Had I known that, I would never have considered it in the first place. I don´t think I will ever buy anything there.

Nikon FCopenhagen, Denmark
There are two essential stores for second hand cameras: Photografica and Foto C. The first one (www.photografica.com) is just next to the popular shopping street Strøget. It has so much to offer you´ll risk wandering aimlessly around there for hours. Rangefinders, large and medium format, classic Nikons and Leicas, film and lenses for all purposes. I just bought a Nikon F there for 1000 DKK, with a one year guarentee. Foto C (www.fotoc.dk is also worth visiting, although not as interesting as Photografica.

Paris, France
Ah, the City of Light and Roland Garros. Much has been said about Paris´ famous "camera street" Boulevard de Beaumarchais. When I came there for the first time this year, I was disappointed. Maybe it was related to my walking the entire city to get there, but I didn´t find much I liked. The shops were small and crowded, and the prices way higher than I have seen anywhere else. The street is fine if you´re looking for very rare stuff, or if you´re simply looking to do some serious window shopping.

Kommentarer